Friday 29 August 2014

RPG A Day 29: Most Memorable Encounter

#rpgaday

Day 29 question - Most Memorable Encounter

Let’s split this into negative and positive.

Negative: That Damn Nandi Bear. I’ve mentioned him before, here’s the full sad story. One of the sample adventures in Fighting Fantasy, GMed by my brother for my cousins and I, features a bear-like monster in one of the rooms. It’s pretty tough, and has 2 attacks. At no point in the description does it say anything about it being so fast that it can attack adventurers one-on-one no matter how many there are in a smallish room, with the other PCs unable to react in any way. So it eviscerated three of the other PCs, and when it got to me, I decided to run. I’m not proud of this, but I didn’t fancy being mangled victim number four. So this apparently removed me from the game entirely as well. Almost thirty years later, this still bugs me. It’s informed my GMing style for decades, so I guess some good came out of it.

Positive: Captain Rugged! I had planned a session of The Watch House in which, among other things, the handsome and charming romantic foil and possible villain Thomas (“played” in handouts by Henry Cavill, shortly after he was passed over for Superman Returns) making a move on Natalie might annoy her on-again-off-again Matthew. But then Matthew’s player had an idea for a magic-gone-wrong episode and that happened instead, while I watched in surprise...

No comments:

Post a Comment